Meet the Murphys
Pools by Murphy has been a family operation since its founding by Joe Murphy II. in 1969. Joe's children Joanne, Richard and Kevin now run the company that has grown to be the largest and most popular in-ground Gunite pool builder in Connecticut.
In 2000, Pools by Murphy, Inc. built and moved into its own 12,000 sq. ft. building in Durham, CT. The following year, they constructed their own Gunite (concrete) factory at the Durham facility, and now produce all their own Gunite on site. (In fact, many other pool builders in Connecticut rely on Pools by Murphy for their Gunite work.)
Pools by Murphy is a proud member of the Association of Pool and Spa Professionals (APSP), the Northeast Swimming Pool Association (NESPA) and the Connecticut Swimming Pool Association (CONSPA). Pools by Murphy is also a long-standing member of Carecraft, a select group of quality-conscientious, customer-oriented pool builders from throughout North America. Carecraft is also a "buying group" which allows Pools by Murphy to purchase raw materials at a lower price than non-Carecraft members. This is one of the reasons that Pools by Murphy can build such stunning in-ground swimming pools at a remarkably lower cost than any other Gunite builder in Connecticut.
What’s so special about Pools by Murphy?
There are plenty of reasons why homeowners love Pools by Murphy. Here are our top 5:
- HIGHLY EXPERIENCED We build more Gunite pools than any other builder in Connecticut, and we’ve been doing it since 1969, which is longer than just about anybody.
- HIGHLY EFFICIENT When it's time to build your pool, we don't waste any time. We have in-house construction crews, and we keep them busy six days a week throughout the building season. (This gives us total control over the schedule, unlike other builders who are at the mercy of the availability of the subcontractors.)
- HIGHLY SKILLED Most of our craftsmen have been working exclusively for Pools by Murphy for more than 20 years. In many cases, we have "father-son" teams, where these craftsmen have taught their children to follow in their footsteps.
- HIGHLY AFFORDABLE Thanks to our highly-efficient operation, we can offer top quality Gunite pools for a fraction of what other pool builders charge. (In fact, you can get a complete inground Gunite swimming pool for as low as $32,995!)
- HIGHLY DEPENDABLE We're a family-owned business, with a sense of pride in ownership and responsibility for the company. From Joanne to Rich, to Kevin, to brother-in-law Frank, all the Murphy's have worked hard to maintain the family reputation that they’ve earned over the years. If you ever experience a problem with a Pools by Murphy project, one of the Murphys will be there to make sure it gets taken care of.
A little history on our founder, Joe Murphy II
Joe was a pioneer in the Gunite Swimming Pool Business in Connecticut. Prior to founding Pools by Murphy in 1969, Joe spent eleven years selling a line of Gunite equipment to the construction industry. With his experience, Joe was able to immediately provide services on retaining walls, dam repairs, fireproofing, holding tanks, and of course, swimming pools.
In 1971, Joe formed Roomar Gunite Corp., to separate the Gunite contracting business from the pool construction business. Joe then became a subcontractor to the other major Gunite pool builders in Connecticut, and was able to learn the best methods from each of these builders.
In 1985, Joe acquired the Blue Haven Pool franchise, and for the next five years, marketed residential pools under the name Blue Haven Pools of CT, Inc. In 1990, Joe parted ways with Blue Haven Pools, but honored in writing all Blue Haven pool warranties and warrantee service contracts. In 1991, Joe's three sons Dennis, Richard and Kevin took over ownership of the company and re-incorporated under the current name of Pools by Murphy and Sons, Inc. Joe was passionate about his company and was proud to retire, knowing his sons could take care of his beloved business.
Joe was also passionate about music, having grown up playing music with his brothers. He met his wife, Anne through music, and later formed a band with his musical family and friends called "The Deepest End." Joe loved country music and playing a honky-tonk piano. He was also an avid sports fan who loved the Red Sox, the NY Giants and Nascar Racing. Joe passed away on Tuesday, January 22, 2008.
Pools by Murphy Memberships and Associations
Pools by Murphy is a proud member of all of the following professional industry organizations.
The APSP is the world's largest international trade association representing the swimming pool, spa, hot tub and recreational water industries. APSP is the leading industry advocate promoting professional best practices through education, industry standards, and safety.
APSP members adhere to a code of ethics in business and technical practices and share a strong commitment to the safe, healthful, and enjoyable use of industry products.
The APSP effectively replaced another well-known industry organization known as “National Pool and Spa Institute” or NSPI in 2006.
More information at: The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals
All members of The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals agree to observe and be dedicated to the following principles and policies:
- To promote the concepts of free enterprise and service to the public and the industry.
- To strive continually to gain respect for the industry, both in the local community and on the regional and national levels.
- To contribute to the health, safety and welfare of the public in the installation, maintenance and operation of swimming pools, spas and hot tubs, and to comply with applicable laws, ordinances and regulations.
- To support efforts to improve swimming pool, spa and hot tub products and services, and to encourage research and development of new materials, techniques and methods.
- To avoid statements which will mislead customers in advertising and other efforts to sell products.
Carecraft is composed of pool/spa designers, builders, and accessory & supply retailers across the United States who have joined together to form a nationwide member-owned association. Only select industry professionals are invited to join, and all must pass rigorous standards of quality control, reputation, and customer relations, in addition to customer concern of each company.
Carecraft was created for consumers to ensure the highest quality in all aspects of pool design & construction. When you invest in a Carecraft member company, you are assured of the finest equipment and experienced workmanship, all at a price that is tailored to your budget and lifestyle.
More information at: CARECRAFT
CONSPA is the Connecticut Chapter of the Association of Pool and Spa Professionals. CONSPA's mission statement is "To promote growth in the pool and spa industry as a whole; to educate our membership to continually achieve higher degrees of proficiency through chapter sponsored education programs; to interrelate all facets of GRAC for the enhancement of the industry; and to continually strive for total membership satisfaction."
More info at www.conspa.org.
The Northeast Spa & Pool Association exists to create a professional climate in which to advance commercial activities, and to address the current and future needs of the pool and spa industry.
In the late 1950s, members of the swimming pool industry in the northeast section of the U.S. banded together to form Northeast Swimming Pool Association (NESPA) to address their collective needs. The organization has been continuously engaged in promoting and protecting its members and educating them and raising their levels of competency in all phases of business activity.
NESPA also serves as a source of product and safety information for the end consumer. For over forty years, NESPA has been affiliated with the Association of Pool & Spa Professionals (APSP). NESPA is also the owner and producer of the Atlantic City Pool & Spa Show, one of the swimming pool industry's largest events. (This event typically draws over 9,000 people to Atlantic City for four days of educational, business and social activities each year.)
NESPA's other “trademark” activity is the Professional Training Institute, which began as Hands-On-Training Institute in 1984. PTI offers the industry's broadest, most comprehensive training programs designed to upgrade professional skills in building, service, management and retail operations.
More information at www.nespapool.org.
Each year the Pool & Spa News magazine researches all the major pool and spa builders in North America based on criteria such as longevity, customer satisfaction, quality ratings, awards, etc. and compiles a list of the Top 50 Builders in the pool and spa industry. We are privileged and proud to be on this list of the Top 50 Builders.